Friday, January 16, 2009

Information and Time...

flickr.com/extremecraft


Sometimes you're right on time, and sometimes, you get beaten to the punch. I've been trying to use my time over winter break constructively. I'm trying to broaden my knowledge about some stuff: Environmental Engineering, Environmental Theory, Ornamental Patterns, the History of Western Civilization, etc. So I've been spending a lot of time at libraries, which are fantastic. I've gotten so used to the way you can speed through information on the Internet, linking from related concepts until you end up somewhere completely unexpected, that I kinda forgot that libraries are essentially organized the same way.

When I go to the library, I try not to be too narrow in my search, because a wealth of wonderful, crazy stuff is contained just to the left and right of what your after, essentially linked to the topic that you are researching. After watching Stewart Brand's brilliant How Buildings Learn, I tried to find the book and ended up holding his Clock of the Long Now, amazing on its own, but even more amazing that it sits in what is essentially, I guess, a section on the philosophy of time. The same was true while I was looking at ornamental embroidery pattern books.


Buried somewhere within the needlework section was this gem, Rosey Grier's Needlepoint for Men. "I've got to scan and post this," I thought. Well, flickr user extremecraft beat me by about 3 years. 3 years! I tip my hat to you. Click on over for more brilliant pictures from the esteemable Rosey Grier.

That's it for this week. Tune in next week for more ruminations on the search for an environmental philosophy for our times.

Cheers!

No comments: